Water

Evaporating Salt Water – An Overview

Evaporation is the physical process where water changes from a liquid state to a vapor or gas state. This is a primary pathway through which water moves from a liquid state to atmospheric water vapor in the water cycle. Many studies have revealed that the rivers, lakes, seas and oceans provide nearly 90% of the atmospheric moisture. On the other hand, the rest 10% is contributed by the plant transpiration. Read on to know more about the

evaporating salt water

.

Evaporating Salt Water – An Overview

The process of

evaporation requires 540 calories/gm to convert the liquid state of water into vapor state

. Also, the air has to carry away the water vapor. The salt water’s vapor pressure is less than that of fresh and pure water kept at the same temperature. At the water-air boundary, the water molecules continuously fly off the water’s surface and fall back.

A few water molecules succeed in diffusing away through the air. The fresh water molecules evaporate faster than the salt water. The

partial pressure of the water molecule

at the surface of the water body is higher than the salt water. Hence, the fresh water molecules diffuse away at a faster rate. You can do an experiment with different salt concentrations to determine the rate of evaporation.

The different rates of evaporation depends on several factors like the humidity and the temperature of the water sample. But anyhow, it is is proven fact that salt water takes a longer time than fresh and pure water.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *