How to Cure Water Retention
Water retention is also known as
. Water retention causes excess build up of fluid in the tissue cells. Water retention results in bloating and uncomfortable swelling in the body. There are many natural and home remedies available for the cure of water retention in the body.
Water retention or oedema can be present in any part of the body. It is mostly localized in the legs, feet and ankles due to gravitational forces.
Water Retention Causes:
Following are some of the causes of water retention –
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Oral contraceptives
- Excess salt in diet
- Side-effects of drug
- Nutritional deficiency
- Health problems such as liver and heart diseases, arthritis, hypothyroidism, allergic reactions and kidney diseases.
Water Retention Remedies:
Following are some of the measures by which water retention in the body can be controlled –
Dietary changes –
– As salt plays an important role in oedema, intake of salt should be reduced but should not be completely eliminated.
- The body requires salt in order to absorb nutrients from small intestines, maintain fluid in blood cells and transfer information to nerves and muscles.
- Eliminate junk foods and buy foods labeled as ‘Low Sodium’.
- Avoid high sodium foods such as ham, olives, bacon, salted crackers, canned soups, condiments and other fast foods.
– Include potassium rich fruits and vegetables such as cabbage and bananas, which will help get rid of excess body fluids.
Vitamin-A and C
– Vitamins A and C rich fruits such as tomatoes and carrots removes water from kidneys.
– Uva-ursi and parsley tea should be taken before menstrual cycle will remove excess water from the body and also prevent menstrual bloat.
- Drink lots of water is the best natural treatment for water retention.
– Regular exercises such as running, walking, biking and aerobics are some of the natural cure for water retention.