Salt Water Rinse for Sore Gums
If infection is the main cause for a sore gum, then the simple and effective home remedy is a gargle with salt water. As salt water cures sore throat, it also helps in treatment of sore gums.
The plaque, which develops below the gum and over the teeth causes several gum and dental infections. This is the leading cause for sore gums. It is not possible to regularly visit a dentist to remove the plaque and tartar build up below the gum line and stop the gum infections before it builds up. Hence, for immediate and temporary relief from the sore gums, gargle with warm salt water can reduce the swelling and pain.
How salt water cures sore gum:
- The salt water draws out water from the pathogens causing infection.
- This causes dehydration of pathogens.
- Hence, due to their dehydration, salt effectively kills bacteria and other germs causing infection.
- Salt water also helps in treatment of bleeding gums, swelling and pain.
Salt Water rinse preparation:
- Warm water should be used to mix salt as cold water is not that effective.
- Cold water aggravates sensitive teeth and does not dissolve the salt.
- You will experience a shock wave and discomfort when you use cold water for rinsing.
- The pain will also happen when the source of sore gum is from a cavity as cavities are a breakdown of tooth surface.
- Tooth’s nerve is more susceptible to aggravations.
- Warm water melts salt crystals quickly.
- This allows warm salt water to reach to small crevices within the mouth and kill the pathogen and cure an abscess.
- This will eliminate the pain and drain the abscess.
It is not a good idea to ignore the pain in gums as it can lead to more complications.
Hence, before the problem aggravates, gargle with warm salt water as often as you like during a day.
Maintain a good oral hygiene and brush twice daily and wash your mouth after each meal.